URINARY & FECAL INCONTINENCE, GENITAL PROLAPSE
VAGINAL & LAPAROSCOPIC TREATMENT OPTIONS
In situation of urinary and fecal incontinence, any underlying cause will have to be treated first. So a prolapsed uterus, vagina or bladder must be treated first by laparoscopy and/or vaginal approach.
In situation of an isolated urinary incontinence (in women after failure of slim procedure !) is the genital nerve stimulation also called GNS – Genital Nerve Stimulation – the treatment of choice.
A Microstimulator System of of few millimeters is implanted behind the pubic bone to the genital nerve. The procedure required as small skin incision hidden by the pubic hairs and can be done under local anesthesia. This procedure take less than 30 minutes, can be performed in day-case. The procedure is easy to performed by gynecologist or urologist.
The procedure take about 30 minutes of time. The thin wire (less than 1mm in diameter) emits a harmless and painless electrical pulse that stimulates the nerve, resulting in:
In situation of fecal incontinence or fecal + urinary incontinence in combination, the stimulation of the pudendal nerve is required. This nerve control both the urethral and the anal sphincters. This procedure is done by laparoscopy – LION procedure – under general anesthesia and take about 45 minutes. The stimulation of the pudendal nerve result in:
- a contraction of both anal and urethral sphincters (therapy of urinary or/and fecal incontinence)
- a relaxation of both the rectum and of the bladder (therapy of irritable bowel and overactive bladder),
- a better bladder and rectum control for a better emptying of the bladder and of the rectum.
Stimulation of the pudendal nerve
- a contraction of the urethral sphincters (therapy of urinary incontinence)
- a relaxation of the bladder (therapy of overactive bladder),
- a better bladder control for a better emptying of the bladder,
- Activation of sexual satisfaction and penis/clitoris erection.
Both procedures are reversible and can be interrupted at any time. The patient control the time and level of stimulation by using a control remoter.
In women with combination of incontinence with prolapsed uterus or vagina, further procedures such as vaginal/laparoscopic pelvic repair and cosmetic vaginal surgery can be done during the same surgical intervention.